I, like so much of the population, absolutely love shopping. A trip to the mall? Count me in. In fact, I can think of SO MANY things I would probably buy instantly without even blinking right now. But, I have a little thing called bills and another little thing called a paycheck, so unfortunately right now I’m in that weird in-between time of the month where shopping is just going to have to wait. But that doesn’t mean I can’t still totally enjoy my trips to the mall and feel the same satisfaction as if I’d walked out with something brand new.
In fact, in many ways, window shopping can feel just as good as the real thing. Me and my mom even have a little term for it – owning it for a while. When you’re walking around the store clutching onto whatever item caught your eye, you own it for that bit you have it until you put it down. I know it’s not as exciting as actually walking out with it but it still feels good in that moment. So, here are my top 5 reasons why window shopping can be as fun as purchasing (and how you can still walk away with things without spending a dime), in no particular order:
1. I know for me, a lot of times when I go shopping I’m looking for motivation to continue with my healthy eating and maintain my weight. Sidenote: I used to struggle a great deal with my weight so that’s why when I decided to lose it, trying on clothes was a big motivator. If you are trying to lose weight, there is no better incentive than trying on that pair of jeans or the dress you’ve been eye-ing. If they fit, then high-fives to you! If they’re not quite there yet, no biggie, it’s just incentive to keep on going :).
2. You can still walk away with some goods! Looking to buy perfume, hand cream, etc? Most stores will be hawking samples somewhere or another (my favorite is actually around Christmas when William-Sonoma does their free hot chocolate tastings) and they’re usually big enough to get two or three uses out of and you didn’t have to spend a dime! I especially love going to Nordstrom’s and picking up a sample of the new perfumes I want to try. Great way to take them home without breaking the bank.
3. Sometimes a trip to the mall isn’t about buying. Sometimes it’s just fun to get out of the house, walk around and people watch. You can walk from store to store and trust me, you will end up seeing SOMETHING interesting/weird/cool, etc.
4. Inspiration. My mom and I love to go to Anthropologie, Ikea or West Elm to just get decorating ideas sometimes. It can be fun to take in the pieces and come home with a brand new set of ideas. Then, you can buy when you’re ready but just going to get some thoughts/inspiration is a lot of fun.
5. It helps you decide if something is absolutely essential for you to have. I know sometimes at the mall I get totally wrapped into the idea of buying and I end up walking out with things I look at later and don’t even really like. Impulse buying at it’s worst. But if you see something you like, refrain from buying, and it’s still on your mind days later or even weeks, you know it might be worth it to get. It’s a good way of weeding out what you really should and shouldn’t purchase.
And just because, this song’s been stuck in my head the whole time I’ve been writing this ha!